10 Tips On Passing The Psychometrician Board Examination + Books I've Read (GET THAT LICENSE!)

21 July 2019


In order to ace the board examination, you have to bite the bullet and endure four dreadful months of nonstop studying, constantly regretting why put yourself into this, and not to mention, the cups and cups of coffee you're going to drink. Thankfully, I survived and get to tell my experience and share a few tips that hopefully can help you in this journey.

Disclaimer: Following the tips alone does not guarantee you to pass the exam. Hence, the success of becoming a board passer still lies on your own hands.

1. "Do I really want this?"- Trust me, you will ask yourself multiple times whenever despair attacks you. It is always easier to achieve something if you do it for yourself. So, if you are being forced to take the exam because your parents told you so or due to peer pressure, it is most likely you won't take this seriously, which will possibly result in failure. Ask yourself this question first before you participate in this serious matter and to avoid wasting all your effort. Do you want that license? Do you want to be a psychometrician/psychologist? Do you think this will help you with your career? If all your answers are yes, then go for it!

2. Manage and ready your requirements. Time and effort are needed in preparing these documents. Make sure you search for and gather the necessary requirements and go to the nearest PRC branch to hand it over. Complete all these so it won't intervene with your review session.

3. Enroll in a review center. - This actually depends on what type of learner you are. If you are more capable of studying independently, then maybe there's no need of attending to a review center. As for me, though, I cannot imagine reviewing on my own. We know that the test encompasses the four subjects- Psychological Assessment (40%), Theories of Personality (20%), Industrial Psychology (20%), and Abnormal Psychology(20%). However, studying alone gives me the idea that I will be lost on what I should read, what topics should I focus more on, or is my lesson plan enough to pass the exam.

My review classes were on weekends and it was one subject for two days. We will be taking exams at the end of the second day to assess our learning. I found it very fast-paced and more challenging since I have to keep up with the topics. Nonetheless, the instructors share their powerpoint files so we can also study at home.

4. Self-study. Attending to a review center is not a method to be spoon-fed. You have to read your materials at your own pace and study in advance so you can relate to the topics being discussed during the review. Also, you need to write down notes and important keywords. I remember studying from 11:00 AM- 6:00 PM for five days trying to finish one book. Yes, it was brain-draining and I used to be aloof towards my family. I eat inside the room and only have dinner with them. You see, sacrifices, huge or small, are essential in achieving success.

5. Disregard small defeats. Not completely since you will learn from them but don't make it a reason so you can underestimate yourself. I remember what our instructor once said. "Hindi ibig sabihin na pag mababa yung score niyo sa tests, di na kayo papasa." (It does not mean that if you got a low score on the tests, you will not pass the exam.") This is absolutely correct. It is just a test, an assessment of your own learning. Instead, use this as a strategy- recheck your mistakes and look them up in your handouts. This will be added to your chamber of learning.

6. Familiarize not memorize. Know that the board examination does not require you to enumerate, you just have to select the best answer in the given choices that are seemingly similar and correct. Yes, they can be tricky like that. Therefore, familiarize yourself with the theories, basic essential terms, and significant persons. Also, reading researches and reading situational questions are helpful.

7. Have a support system. The importance of this contributes to your psychological health. You will be more likely motivated and improve how you deal with stress. 

8. Take a break. There were times when I felt that my brain can't accommodate more information or when I don't think I am still understanding what I was reading. I took a break- ate something sweet, checked my phone, or nap. After getting a well-deserved rest, I return t studying with a fresh mind.

9. Positive thinking. You need to remember that you have to battle your doubts with optimism. Simple as that but of course difficult to take in action. For example, from time to time, you will say," cannot do this.", "I will not pass the exam.", or "What if I fail, what will happen to me?". Respond to these the other way around, positively- "I can do this.", "I will pass the exam.", and "I will not fail!".

I remember before dismissing us, the staffs would ask us to say the "motto" of our review center. 
"I can do it! I can make it! I will top the board exam and be the number one.[Lecturer/staff: Grab your license!] It's mine!"
Honestly, it was simply powerful and it will really fuel you with enthusiasm.

10. Pray. This doesn't need any explanation but it is proven. You are doing your part but also remember that God has been in action since day one. 
"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you." -Matthew 7:7
I was so specific in asking God to help me pass the exam, that I acquire the wisdom and knowledge that I need, to provide all the test-takers good health, and to have nothing that will interfere with processing my requirements. I asked, He heard me, and so He made it all happen.

Hopefully, these tips will assist you in pursuing that license. Worry less and do your best. God bless future Psychometricians!

BONUS!
Below are the books that I read during my reviews. These were so helpful to me since I found some of the items on the tests of our instructors here. The following are available online as PDFs/E-books and are also saved in my drive, so if you want, I can e-mail them to you :)

1. Psychological Testing (Kaplan, Saccuzzo) 7th Edition
2. Psychological Testing and Assessment (Cohen- Swerdlik) 7th Edition
3. Theories of Personality (Feist & Feist) 7th Edition
4. Abnormal Psychology (Kring, Johnson, Davison, Neale) 2012
5. Abnormal Psychology- An Integrative Approach (Barlow & Durand) 6th Edition
6. Abnormal Psychology in a Changing World (Nevid, Rathus, Greene) 9th Edition
7. Industrial Organization Psychology (Aamodt) 6th Edition
8. DSM-V (Of course)

I am more than pleased to be of help so if you have any questions, drop them in the comment section below and I will gladly answer them :)

2 comments

  1. Hi! I watched your youtube video and read your blog as well. Just want to say that it is super helpful! Can I please ask for the pdf copies of your recommended books? Here's my email: aileenstadena@gmail.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi it would really help po, can i please ask for the pdf copies po? Thank you! Here's my email: marchelrosea123@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete