Dubai - United Arab Emirates

7 Productivity Tips While Working from Home

28 April 2020



It is Monday again which means back to work. As for us here in Dubai, we have already started our week yesterday. Ever since the outbreak of COVID-19, most companies have been working remotely to observe social distancing. To be honest, it is not an easy transition. If you have been working from home even before the pandemic, you might find this mundane. However, for those used to attending to their offices, sitting in front of their monitors from 9-5, it can be quite challenging and indeed affects productivity. Personally and not trying to sound like "the best employee" or a workaholic, I still prefer working in the office. Why? The work environment motivates me more to work and focus on my tasks as compared to working in the comfort of my home, where I usually find other things to fritter away time that results to divided attention.

In order to work effectively, I am sharing 7 tips to boost productivity while working at home.

1. Ensure that you got everything you need. Laptop, stable internet connection, mobile phone/telephone with plan, and all the files you will be working on. Without these, you will be surely be lost.

2. Find a peaceful and organized workstation. It is proven that a clutter-free workspace helps in completing tasks. It is also important to find a workspace where you can work comfortable and far from distractions.

3. Wake up early as if you're coming to the office. Let's be honest here. Working at home has a space for flexibility, including being flexible with time. I have awoken a little later on the first day of WFH (working from home) and I totally crammed mid-afternoon due to my workload and ended up extending a few minutes past my end shift. Moreover, it is better to wake up early so you can prepare yourself- have a nice bath and a good breakfast, and to fix your desk tasks for the day.

4. Create a to-do list. I have always kept a list of my tasks even back in college. It really helps me to keep track and brief myself of what I should do throughout the whole day. Also, it helps with prioritizing work- what should be done first and what can wait. After each task, I crossed it out so I won't  be confused if I have already done it and it serves also as a log of my weekly work accomplishments.

5. Take little breaks. Frustration and tiredness can be experienced whether at home or in the office. I usually stand up from my desk, take a little walk around the office, have a little chat with my colleagues, or go to the washroom to freshen up. Here at home, I also take a break by playing with my baby niece, grabbing some snacks, or watching some fun videos online. Once my spirit has been uplifted, I go back to work and try to finish any pending tasks.

6. Stay connected. It is crucial not to put your phone on silent. Whether you colleague contacts you to ask a question or your boss gives you something to do, having your phone beside you and all your messaging apps running is very important.

7. Listen to music. Almost all of my daily activities, I always listen to music. It increases my energy and makes me want not to leave my desk especially if I'm playing music on my laptop. Furthermore, it lessens the possibility of me getting all sleepy and feeling worn out.

There you go folks. I hope these tips will help in boosting your productivity while working from home under quarantine. Let me know your thoughts and your additional tips down in the comments below.

Pin for later :)

Post a Comment